We started off wit my folks Raashan Ahmad and Amp Live on the tables. It really didn't even start crackin until around 1:30 in the mornin. An electic assortment of blackness crowded the room. There were artsy cats, spiritualists, turfists, nondescripts and revolutionaries all huddled there under the blanket of big beats. Once we started the cypher jam, the entire energy of the party shifted. Its as if those who wanted to dance eventually faded towards the door, and those who wanted to get involved clustered around the stage. During the 30 minute journey, I felt a drastic degree of feeling. At times I recall feeling elated, as I bounced in ecstasy around the stage. At other times, I felt confounded by the cacophony of word sound. It was like living on life's brutal edge, and embracing the most beautiful and hideous parts of yourself. Deep.
As we unwound from the freestyle bazaar, Afrikan Science took us into the advanced stages of dubhouse texture. Yet, as the night moved forward...the collective yearning for another freestyle spawned itself. Suddenly, the club turned into our holy house of worship. Its hard to explain the music at this point. But I know that it was unlike anything I've heard before. It sounded like black peoples punk rock music. Somethin like Bad Brains, but mixed with gospel roots and blues. It was ill. There were only about 10 people in the club left besides the quintet on stage. Everyone of us was dancin! It was magnetic and alive. There were many bouts of ecstatic leaps and tumbles as the energy engaged every soul that it touched. The spirit was truly in the house.
Stay tuned for further news on the next installment of "the AfterLife" party series....ase..


No comments:
Post a Comment